Updating your work space can make a big difference to your mood and productivity. With these simple tips you’ll have a desk the whole company will envy!
Ever gone back to work from a summer break and wondered if your desk was always such a mess (and how in the world did you get any work done)? So have we.
When you sit in one spot day after day, it’s easy to lose sight of the situation. Things pile up. Things get dirty. It’s not a good look.
Here are four easy ways give yourself a morale boost every time you come to work 😉
Declutter your desk
This is an obvious but important one. Scientists have found that a messy desk has a negative impact on your work, because too much stuff in your space makes it harder to focus.*
- Clean out your office space by throwing away anything you no longer need (anything that isn’t essential).
- Wipe down your desk as well as your keyboard and mouse. A thorough cleaning reduces the spread of germs and may result in fewer sick days down the track!
- Replace your essential desk items, such as stationery, in a clean and open style that’s easily accessible.
*See more here.
Featured: Griffith Office Desk from Zanui, Heather Jute Rug from FAB Rugs, Double Strap Tub, Large from Amigos De Hoy, Dixon Chest of 5 Drawers from Dulton, Attic Wall Clock from London Clock Company, Chelsea Adjustable Desk Lamp from Casa Uno and the Classic Bulldog Bookend from Zuny.
Upgrade these office essentials
It’s nice to have new things every once in a while. Here’s the definitive list of office essentials you need to replace.
Trust us, you need a new:
- mug that makes you smile
- blend of tea that makes you go ‘ahh’
- playlist that makes you want to dance
- playlist that makes you want to concentrate
- notebook and day planner (plus pretty pens)
- desktop background
Pick desk décor you love
Just because your desk is decluttered and clean doesn’t mean you can’t decorate! You can’t go wrong with things that make you smile, but choose wisely and don’t overcrowd your desk.
Quirky décor pieces or memorabilia that expresses your personality can also be a good talking point among colleagues.
Create a positive atmosphere
By making your work space a positive place to be, you’ll feel energised just turning up in the morning.
Open the windows and let in plenty of natural light and air. Reduce the use of artificial air conditioning when you can and keep the place feeling fresh.
Plus, pick some good music for a fun or focused feel. Invest in good-quality headphones for the ultimate tune-out, get-to-work boost.