We’re feeling blue – in the best way. This month’s birthstone, the gorgeous sapphire, is our colour inspiration for the most captivating home styling.
The sapphire is a gem has a long and documented history. This sweet stone has appeared in the Bible as the second stone on the High Priest’s robes, to associations with the Greek God Apollo and his blessings.
It has been believed to protect loved ones from envy and harm since the Middle Ages. Warriors would gift jewellery made of sapphire to their wives to ensure fidelity. Medieval clergymen adorned themselves with these precious stones to symbolise heaven. It seems this gem is an all-round crowd-pleaser!
Nowadays, we see sapphires appear during the month of September as a birthstone, or traditionally given as a 45th wedding anniversary present (mark the year!).
While they may come in various colours, the most desirable of them all is the iconic deep blue. (Think the Heart of the Ocean necklace from Titanic. Sigh.)
How to Style with Sapphire Blue
There’s so much to love about this pretty stone. Its tranquil vibes and deep oceanic tones make us feel at peace – which makes us want to scatter it everywhere in our homes. These simple inspiration tips will transform your space with sapphire love:
- Sapphire blues vary, so keep the natural theme going with lighter and darker shades of blue rather than being too matchy-matchy
- Contrast blues with lighter coloured furniture to avoid a space that seems small – it makes your white furniture look fresher!
- While the colour might seem grand, don’t be afraid to use it casually – we love deep blues on platters, mugs and tableware
- Think of the theme you’re working with – blue tones complement Hamptons, Scandinavian and classic styles
- Contrast finishes! A touch of metallic blue can really make your interior stand out with its shine 😉