Recently, we were lucky enough to sit down with Catherine Heraghty, the Creative Director of The Stables, for a quick Q&A. She gave us her top tips on interior styling and how to get your home ready for Spring.
What inspires you?
I am inspired by other designers and architects work! I love to see how they push the boundaries with materiality. We have incredible talent in Australia and I am mostly inspired by local designers rather than international designers – their style suits our lifestyle and climate!
I follow so many other amazing interior designers and architects on social media. I love seeing their new projects, what products they are creating and how they are using new materials. There is so much to be learnt from what other creatives are doing!
I also love to read my favourite magazines and newsletters on interior design. I really enjoy reading the in-depth articles on a particular designer and their project. Fete Press is great for this; I love reading about the design process, the background on a project and the concept behind the design. For me, the article is just as important as the pretty pictures!
What’s the best styling advice you have ever received?
Someone I once worked for and who I admire greatly, once told me that the best colour palettes can be sourced straight from nature itself. I often take my colour palette cues from nature.
The colour of the bark on a gum tree is the perfect example of this. It has beautiful warm neutrals, creamy whites and hints of soft greens. It could also be a photo of a beach at dusk, beautiful muted colours can be drawn from the colour of the sand, the sky and the water. If it looks harmonious in nature, it is going to look just as harmonious in an interior!
What are your top 5 tips for giving your home a Spring makeover?
- Changing the linen on your bed is the easiest way to freshen up your bedroom! Who doesn’t love the feeling of fresh new sheets? Go for lighter colours to welcome the new season and add in hints of colour with cushions and throws.
- You can freshen up your living room by swapping over the cushions on your lounges. Add cushions with lighter fabrics, textures and brighter and lighter colours for that fresh Spring feeling. Put away your winter look cushions until next year!
- I love to move furniture around to give a space a whole new look and feel. Not only does this freshen the space up visually but it also changes the way you use and walk through it. Shifting the sofa or chair into a sunny corner of the room will allow you to take advantage of the longer days.
- Update your artwork. There is so much affordable art available these days that it is an easy way to update your home. You can even reuse your existing frames to keep things budget friendly. By introducing new artwork, it gives you the ability to introduce a new colour scheme into your space. So bring in cushions and accessories in the colours that tie in with your new artwork. It’s an easy way change the way a space feels and welcome in the new season.
- If you have a chunky wool rug you could consider rolling this up and putting it away for the warmer months and getting out something with a more relaxed summery vibe. There are lots of gorgeous natural woven jute rugs on the market which add a great layer of texture to a room and they give you a lovely relaxed feel which is perfect heading into Spring. Not to mention, they are so durable and are perfect for high traffic areas and for families with young children.
What are your favourite Zanui finds?
There are many…but here are just a few!
- The Amalfi Display Metal Ladder Stand in Black is one of my most loved pieces from Zanui. The clean black lines are elegant and add a beautiful pop to a space, plus it is the perfect piece to style with. Draping towels over it in the bathroom to do things a little differently, or draping throws or a hanging magazine collection over it. This piece is so versatile! It is so light and you can easily move it around your house. It is suitable for bedrooms, living rooms and bathrooms. The price point is amazing too! There is not much to not love about this piece!
- I am loving the entire art collection from The Print Emporium. The prints are actually quite unique which is so great when there is so much of the same thing out there, it seems. Their quality is amazing and the framing is also lovely. I love their series of flowers, the intensity of the colours are so lovely. Really, I highly recommend checking out this collection, they are just stunning.
- I am well known for my bed styling so it comes as no surprise that I am huge fan of bed linen! I love to style my beds with an over-sized bedspread at the end of the bed, if it drapes onto the floor even better! It adds another layer to the bed which makes it feel luxurious and inviting. Having a bed spread over the end of your bed is also extremely practical as they are great to pull up over your quilt on a colder night for that extra warmth! The Aspen Quilted Quilt from L&M Home is just gorgeous and I am in love with mine. It’s a perfect crisp white which means it will work well with most colours and it has the most beautiful textured finish. It is so timeless; it is a piece you will keep for a long time!
What are your top tips for choosing the perfect rug?
One of the most important decisions when selecting a rug is choosing the right size. There is nothing worse than choosing a rug that feels too small for a space! You want a rug to feel generous in size to ensure that it zones the space correctly. If you have the space, ideally a rug should be big enough for all of the furniture to sit comfortably within its borders.
For example in a living area, I prefer my sofas to be sitting within the confines of the rug. If you don’t have this space however, at least ensure that the rug extends to beneath each of your sofas so it gives the appearance that it is generous in size.
Remember too, to choose a rug that is suitable for the area. There are so many gorgeous chunky wool rugs on the market at the moment. They are soft underfoot, they add a beautiful amount of texture to a space and they are warm. Unfortunately, though, they are susceptible to wear. So if your living area is a high traffic area and there are small children you might avoid this style and go for a wool rug with a tighter weave to ensure longevity.
You could perhaps leave the chunky wool rug to your master bedroom for a little bit of luxury and it will have much less traffic so will stand the test of time!